The refrigerator may be exposed to a group of factors that lead to the emission of an unpleasant smell from it, which may be the result of food spoiled or spilled inside the refrigerator and exposed to dehydration or many other reasons, while there is a set of effective methods for disposal From unwanted odor inside the refrigerator, and to ensure the best results, it is imperative to follow the correct steps in a row; What to do before cleaning and what to follow to get rid of the bad smell:
Pre-cleaning steps It is very important and before starting to clean the refrigerator to get rid of the bad smell, follow the following steps:
- Disconnect the refrigerator from the electricity before starting the cleaning process.
- Remove all food And drinks from inside the refrigerator, and in case you want to keep some foods cooled, put them in a cooler bag filled with ice.
- Get rid of spoiled or expired food.
- Clean all shelves outside the fridge, rub them with hot, soapy water well, then let them dry.
- Sanitize the inside of the refrigerator well using a sterilizing solution consisting of one tablespoon of chlorine per gallon of water, then Dry the interior with a clean towel.
- Steps to get rid of the smell After the preparation steps for removing the unwanted smell, we can now move on to the steps and practical solutions to get rid of the bad smell:
Using baking soda:
You can prepare a solution consisting of 15 ml of baking soda to 1 One liter of warm water, then wipe the walls and shelves of the refrigerator, as well as the door from the inside and outside.
You can also put a container containing baking soda inside the refrigerator and close it for several hours, which will absorb lingering odors.
- Use ground coffee: To enhance the effectiveness of soda, it is preferable to spread coffee.
- It is ground on a plate and placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours, as this will enhance the absorption of unpleasant odors and give better results.
- Use of activated charcoal: put an appropriate amount of activated charcoal suitable for the size of the refrigerator on a tray inside the refrigerator, and run the refrigerator for 3 days while it is empty, the activated charcoal absorbs odors well.
- Use of commercial detergents and deodorants: It is also possible to use them.
- Deodorants for the refrigerator sold in the market and wipe the inner walls and shelves with a clean cloth, then ventilate and dry the place well before returning the foodstuffs.
- Wiping well: To get rid of odors in a noticeable way, wiping must be done periodically, and that each part takes the time to clean it well with a piece A clean, damp cloth and then use another dry cloth for good drying.
Steps to maintain a fresh scent Upon completion of the odor removal steps, it is necessary to follow steps to preserve the fresh smell of the refrigerator, including Adjusting the temperature of the refrigerator by checking the temperature The ideal refrigerator is between 37 and 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ensure that the air circulates well inside the refrigerator, this helps to maintain the spread of the cooled air in all parts of the refrigerator as required, thus preserving the food properly, and this can be adjusted using a thermometer in different places of the refrigerator to ensure the uniformity of the temperature. Properly storing food, that is, storing foods in airtight containers, helps, in addition to keeping the food fresh, to ensure that the smell of spoiled food does not spread throughout the refrigerator.
- Soak the cotton swabs with a solution of vanilla extract and place them in separate places in the refrigerator for several hours, to make the scent more refreshing.
- Cut the oranges into slices and put them in an open container inside the refrigerator to give it a pleasant smell.
- Taking care of regular cleaning of the refrigerator helps in getting rid of unwanted odors easily.
- On the other hand, constant negligence and failure to monitor the ventilation and temperature inside the refrigerator will increase the chance of spreading the bad smell and it may reach a stage that is difficult to remove unless changing the insulation with the help of a maintenance employee in the event of a leak.
- To find out how to get rid of freezer odor in detail, here is the following article: How to get rid of freezer odor in detail.
How do you keep the refrigerator clean periodically?
There are many methods that can be used to keep the refrigerator clean, including the following:
Transferring unnecessary contents: People often keep some vegetables that do not need refrigeration in the refrigerator; Like potatoes, it is best to put only foods that need to be cooled in the fridge, and whatever remains in the kitchen cabinets.
Use paper towels or newspapers to wrap vegetables and fruits: this makes it easier to clean the refrigerator shelves later because the aforementioned envelopes absorb any juices that may come out from the foods.
Disposing of food residues: The remains of food must be disposed of periodically, for example, cooked foods can be disposed of after 4 days of putting them in the refrigerator, and to facilitate the task, a paper can be written with the date of each food that is stored in the refrigerator.